Adrak ka shorba, Adrak ki sabzi,Saunth ka saag or Ginger soup are some of the many names for this hot and delicious preparation. It is very popular in my family, specially made during chilly winters and monsoons. This is also a post-natal food, specially given to new mothers after child birth as it is very good for warmth, aids digestion and improves appetite and cures gastric problems.This thin ginger curry can be served along with meals as an appetizer, digestive or as a side dish, but my mother always serves this with dhaniya ki poori and fried potato chips, which make a great combo.Even Dhaniya ki Poori is also a post-natal food which is very good for lactating mothers. The dried spice mixture (coriander, cumin, carom and ginger powder) which is added in the poori is called kayoka. So you can use this combo of adrak ki sabzi and dhaniya poori as a winter food or as a a post- natal food.
Prep time- 10 min
Cooking time- 15 min
Type- Main , breakfast
SAUNTH KI SUBZI
- Ginger/Adrak, grated and tightly packed -2 .5 tbsp
- Dried ginger powder/Saunth- 1tsp *
- Yogurt /Dahi -1/2 cup
- Water- 2.5 cup
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp (optional)
- Fresh coriander- 2 tsp
- Black salt /Kala namak- 1/3 tsp
- Salt- to taste
Tempering / Waghar
- Ghee -2 tsp
- Cumin /Jeera-1 tsp
- Carom seeds /Ajwain- 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida /Hing- 1/4 tsp
- Grate ginger with a fine grater or grind to make a paste.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin,carom and asafoetida.
- When cumin start crackling add the grated ginger and saute for 30 seconds on low flame
- Add saunth powder and saute for about 30 seconds or till it start giving a nice aroma.
- Blend yogurt and water with a whisk or hand blender.
- Pour the yogurt mixture in the pan and cook(keep stirring)
- Cook till it comes to a rolling boil.then boil further for 2 more minutes (keep stirring to avoid curdling)
- Switch off the flame and add lemon juice (optional) and chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve hot.
- Wheat flour/atta-1.5 cup
- Semolina/sooji-1/4 cup
- Cooking oil -1.5 tbsp
- Asafoetida /Hing- a pinch of
- Salt-to taste
- Coriander seeds / Sabut Dhaniya -2 tbsps
- Dried Ginger powder/Saunth- 1tsp
- Cumin seeds /Jeera -1 tsp
- Carom seeds /Ajwain -1 tsp
- Black pepper/Kali mirch -1/2 tsp
- Take all the spices listed in (Keyoka) the mixer jar and grind to make a powder.
- In a big bowl add wheat flour,semolina, salt, oil and ground masala powder(kayoka)
- Mix well and then add warm water to make a medium hard dough.
- Cover and rest for 15 minutes.
- Now knead it well and make small balls from the dough.
- Roll to make medium thick pooris /discs.
- Heat ghee or oil in a deep pan and gently slide the rolled poori in it.
- Press gently to help it puff from both sides.
- Fry on medium heat to a nice golden colour .drain on a paper napkin.
- Serve hot with fried potato fingers and saunth ki subzi.