Baigan Ka Chokha- Roasted brinjal and tomato mash from the land of Bihar
Baigan ka Chokha is a very popular recipe from Bihari cuisine.It is often made during winters in bihar, Uttarpradesh and Jharkand region.Baigan ka chokha and baigan ka bharta both are different.Though Punjabi baigan ka bharta and baigan ka chokha both are made from roasted brinjals but the taste are so different from each other,chokha have more rustic flavour in it as compared to baigan bharta.
To make baigan ka bharta we fry tomato and spices in oil tempering but for making chokha roasted and peeled brinjal and tomato are just mashed and few spices and a generous amount of raw mustard oil is added in it and served like it only.no frying is needed after this.
This brinjal chokha is served with litti or slightly thicker rotis and chili chutney. Don’t avoid or skip the mustard oil in it,you cant replace it with any other vegetable oil.
Baigan Ka Chokha
Servings: 4 people
- 3 medium Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 3 big Brinjals / Baingan
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 2.5 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 2.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- Wash and wipe brinjal and make 2 small slits in it and apply some oil all over it.
- Keep the brinjal on direct flame and roast it from all the sides ,keep turning the sides.
- Same way roast tomatoes and green chilies on direct flame till get charred from all the sides.
- When they cool down then peel off the skin of brinjals and tomato. Chop and mash brinjal and tomatoes.
- Take a big bowl and add mashed brinjal and tomatoes in it.
- Add chopped green chili,ginger,salt,chili powder,lemon juice and mustard oil.
- Mix it well and add chopped fresh coriander. Serve fresh.
Serving suggestions -serve with bajra roti,mix pickle and a piece of jaggary