When ever I want to make something quick and easy then Rava upma and quick rava uttapam instantly came in my mind.This is quite an easy recipe with few basic ingredient needed to make it . Its quite easy to digest so good for kids breakfast and lunch boxes.
Its my daughters favorite recipe so I make it often, I love to add vegetables in it but you can avoid it for your fussy kids. Addition of tomatoes and capsicum gives a nice crunch and tangy taste to the mild uttapam.You can serve this rava uttapam with coconut chutney or any spicy and tangy chutney or sauce of your choice.
You can make the batter and keep it refrigerated for 3- 4 days bu add tomatoes when you want to make.
Prep time- 8 min
Cooking time-8 min
- Semolina /sooji – 1/2 cup
- Rice flour /chawal ka atta – 2 tbsp
- Yogurt /dahi -1/2 cup
- Water – approx- 3/4 cup
- Capsicum, chopped- 1/3 cup
- Tomato,chopped- 1/2 cup
- Green chili,chopped- 1 tsp
- Fresh coriander,chopped- 1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds /jeera – 1tsp
- Chili flakes – 1tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Fruit salt /Eno- a pinch of (optional)
- In a bowl add water and yogurt and whisk well or use butter milk
- Add semolina, rice flour and salt and mix.
- Let it cover and rest for minimum 15 minutes.
- Now add chopped vegetables, cumin and chili flakes and stir to mix.
- Grease a non stick pan and heat it on medium flame.
- Add eno in the batter and mix well.
- Pour a ladle full of batter,(about 1/2 cup )in the pan and spread to make a medium thick pan cake.
- Drizzle little oil around the edges and cook on medium heat.
- You can also cover the pancake with a lid to make it cook faster (optional)
- When the top of pancakes start changing colour and looks cooked from the sides and then drizzle little oil over the uttapam and flip it over.
- Cook from the other side for 2-3 minutes or till it become golden at the bottom.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or any spicy sauce or relish and idli podi
- Addition of rice flour is optional but it helps in holding the batter and easy cooking but you can also substitute it with refined flour or wheat flour.
- Eno makes the uttapam soft and fluffy.
- Chili flakes can be substituted with freshly ground pepper.
- Instead of using curd you can also use slightly sour butter milk.
- Quantity of water depends on the quality of rava so add water accordingly,it will absorb water after soaking,so the final batter should be of medium thickness to spread it easily,don’t make a thin batter.