Carrot sambharo-A Warm cabbage and carrot salad -specialty from the state of Gujarat
Carrot Sambharo is a stir fry often made with carrot,cabbage, papaya and chilies.Grated or shredded vegetables are tempered in mustard,curry leaves and green chilies and then stir fried or cooked slightly so the vegetables should retain the crunch and crispiness.Then sugar and lemon juice is added to give a sweet and sour taste.
It is often served with Gujarati snacks and farsans as an accompaniment or as a side dish with meal and I used the leftover sambharo to make sandwiches and to stuff in parathas.
Also posted the recipe of Raw Papaya and pomegranate sambharo, Cabbage chana daal , Bengali cabbage subzi, Carrot and cabbage sambharo, Cabbage Rice and healthy Purple cabbage and pea stir fry
Cabbage and Carrot Sambharo
- 2 cup Carrot / Gajar grated
- 3 cup Cabbage / Patta Gobhi
- 3/4 cup Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch sliced
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2.5 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 2.5 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbso Cooking Oil
- 1.5 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch slit lengthwise
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When seeds starts crackling add asafoetida,curry leaves and green chilies.
- Now add turmeric powder and grated cabbage and saute for few seconds.
- Then add capsicum julienne s, grated carrot, salt and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on medium flame for 2 minutes or till slightly cooked but remain crisp and crunchy.
- Add sugar and lemon juice, mix well and remove from the gas stove.
- Serve hot or at room temperature