Waffle Uttapam- A savory waffle made with rice lentil batter and vegetables
Waffles are usually made with flour mixture and are sweet in taste.But as I am not found of those sweet waffles my waffle maker was just lying in the store corner .last week I have some guest at my place and I was not in the mood to serve them the routine uttapam or idli so tried making uttapam in the waffle maker and every one loved them ,they are low fat and looks good.
I have added tomato,corn,capsicum and carrots into the uttapam batter but You can add any vegetable of your choice in it.It is a very healthy snack for kids tiffin box as it taste good even after it become cold.
Most of the South Indian snacks and tiffins are healthy and low fat.Whether it is the most popular Masala dosa or the steamed Idli or the Kuzhi Paniyaram they taste great with just little fat and few spices and are quite easy to make.The accompaniment served along is Sambhar or different types of chutney like the most popular Coconut chutney and tomato peanut chutney
- 1.5 cup Dosa batter
- 3 tbsp Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 3 tbsp Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch chopped
- 3 tbsp Carrot / Gajar grated
- 3 tbsp Corn Kernels / Makai Dana
- 1 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 tsp Chili flakes /Kuti hui laal mirch
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- Deseed tomatoes and chop them finely.
- Discard the seeds and chop the capsicum and keep aside.
- In a big bowl add the dosa batter,all chopped vegetable and spices and mix it well.
- Grease the waffle maker with little oil and heat it.
- Pour the prepared batter in the cavity and level it.
- Drizzle little oil over it and close it (you can skip adding oil or can use butter or ghee instead of oil )
- Cook till it become light golden in colour ,it may take about 3-4 minutes to cook.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney ,green chutney or tomato ketchup.