Moong daal cheela stuffed with paneer- Yellow Lentil pancakes stuffed with mildly spiced cottage cheese mixture
Breakfast should be the most important meal of the day so it have to be healthy and filling to keep up our energy level till lunch time.In Indian we do have the habit of doing heavy breakfast and it vary according to each state and region. Aloo Paratha, Aloo Poha, Idli , cheela and so many variety of breakfast you can get in India
In western countries they often make pancakes with refined flour but in India we make so many varieties of pan cakes or crepe using gram flour ,lentils, rice and different types of millets . In Southern India Masala dosa ,Adai dosa, Rava uttapam are very popular and in North Indian cheela is popular which is mostly served as a breakfast or brunch option.
In my family every one loves moong daal ka cheela but as compared to the plain cheela the one filled with paneer is often made due to popular demand of family members :).Making moong daal ka cheela is quite easy and quick, Just soak yellow moong daal /yellow lentil for few hours and then grind it with green chili, ginger and asafoetida and then spread it like a pancake and cook to a nice golden colour.
Stuffing is optional ,you can have the cheela plain or stuff with potato mixture or paneer mixture ,choice is yours ,but it taste awesome both ways.It can be served with mint chutney ,tomato ketchup or any tangy dip.
Moong Daal Cheela Stuffed With Paneer, Stuffed Lentil Pancakes
- 1 cup Yellow Lentil / Moong Daal (dhuli huee)
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1.5 inch Ginger / Adrak chopped
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/2 cup Green chutney (thick) (optional)
- 1/4 cup Cooking Oil
For making the Stuffing
- 2 cup Cottage cheese / Paneer crumbled
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch finely chopped
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 3/4 tsp Chili flakes /Kuti hui laal mirch
- Soak yellow moong daal in enough water for 4 hours.
- Drain the water and rinse it with fresh water 2 times.
- Now add green chili,ginger and asafoetida and grind to make a smooth paste.
- Take out in a bowl and add salt,cumin and turmeric and mix.
- Adjust the consistency by adding some water if needed,it should be of pouring consistency and then keep aside.
- Filling- in a bowl add every thing listed in -for making the filling. and mix well.
- Heat a non stick flat pan and drizzle few drops of cooking oil and wipe with a tissue.
- Pour a ladle full of batter on it and spread it with the back of the ladle in a circular motion like we make dosa or pancakes.
- Drizzle few drops of oil around and over the cheela and let it cook till it turns golden at the bottom.
- Flip the side and cook again for few seconds.
- Turn it again and spread some thick mint chutney on the half cheela.
- Now put some paneer filling over the chutney and then fold it to make a half moon.
- Press it gently and then serve hot.