Kulfa ki kadhi- A healthy and delicious curry made with purslane leaves,bengal gram and yogurt.
Kulfa in Hindi ,Purslane in English, Khorfeh in persian/luni bhaji/lunak/Pachiri /koluppa is a succulent weed plant with thick round leaves .It is cooling in nature so good to have in summer.It can be used in salads,stir fries, can add in any lentil preparations, it can be used it as a spinach substitute in almost every preparation.it is easy to clean as don’t have much dirt as compared to other green leaves .kulfa have a good shelf life if refrigerated.You need not to discard the stems of kulfa like spinach stems, chop both the leaves and the tender stems and use in your cooking.
Kulfa leaves are slightly lemony in taste.It grows easily everywhere, don’t need much care and maintenance is a very good source of omega -3 ,Vitamin A,Vitamin C ,vitamin E, B complex, Magnesium and potassium,Beta carotene etc .It is also used as a medicinal plant.It have antibacterial,anti inflammatory and have mild diuretic properties. Poultice of kulfa paste can also be applied on burns and wounds.
My grand mother use to make this kulfa ki kadi which my mother leaned from her and become a favorite at my Mothers home.Now I learned from her and started making and my family loves this kulfa ki kadhi. Usually I make this kulfa kadhi with kulfa,potato and chana daal but I have few corn kernels lying in my refrigerator so added them too.You can also add few fried moong daal mangodi in it for a change in taste occasionally.It can be served with jeera rice,boiled rice or chapatis.I usually make a combo of moong daal lachka , kulfa kadhi and rice.
I have also posted the recipes of tghese delicious Kadhi’s-
- Boondi ki kadhi ,
- Miloni ki kadhi,
- Aloo Matar Mangodi ki kadhi,
- Gujarati Bhindi Ki Kadhi ,
- Sindhi Kadhi ,
- Bhatia kadhi
Kulfa Ki Kadi
- 2 bunch Kulfa /Purslane
- 1.5 tbsp Bengal gram /chana daal
- 1 Potatoes / Aloo medium size
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 5 tbsp Yogurt / Dahi
- 4 tbsp Gram flour / Besan
- Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- Red chili powder
- Black Salt / Kala Namak
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1 liter Water / Paani
- Wash tha kulfa leaves and then discard the hard stems if any and then chop them roughly ( just pluck the leaves and use with out chopping.)
- Soak chana daal in enough water for 1/2 hour .
- Peel and chop potatoes in medium size pieces.
- Add yougurt and gram flour in a bowl and whisk it well and keep aside.
- In a big pan add the soaked chana daal,chopped kulfa,potatoes,green chilies,ginger and the gram flour mixture.
- Mix it well and then add water, salt ,turmeric and stir.
- Cook on high flame till it start boiling.
- Then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 -25 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and fresh coriander and remove from the flame.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida,when cumin start crackling remove from the flame and add red chili powder and pour over the curry.
- Serve hot with rice,jeera rice or any Indian bread of your choice.