A healthy and easy dessert of Fox nuts and milk
Makhana or phool makhana is usually used during fasting to make different types of sweet and savory dishes. Even plain roasted makhana is a great healthy snack as it is very light to digest and taste good. Makhana is derived from water lily plant ,the puffed lotus seeds are fox nuts.
Makhana is easily available in North India in all the spice stores and supermarket ,they are very light in weight and are reasonably priced as compared to other dry fruits and nuts.
Makhana is rich in calcium, Iron, zinc, Phosphorous etc. and have many Ayurvedic and medicinal properties .The most common use of Phool Makhana is to cure diarrhea and helps to improve and increase the weak appetite.It is also very good to use during pregnancy and as a postnatal food. It is very high in calcium so good for arthritis patients and old age people. It is also a good source of antioxidants so makhana should be consumed not only during fasting but as a daily routine food in some way.
This makhana kheer is an easy recipe ,you just have to roast the makhana in little ghee on low flame till they become crisp and brittle ,then grind them coarsely, you can also keep some makhana whole and grind the rest ,it depends on your choice. And then add the makhana in hot boiling milk and simmer for few minutes till it thickness,it taste great hot or cold.
How To Make Phool Makhana Kheer ,Makhane Ki Kheer
- 750 gms Whole Milk / Doodh
- 65 gms Phool makhana/ Fox nuts
- 3/4 cup Sugar / Chini
- 10 Almonds / Badam
- 10 Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 10 Pistachio / Pista
- 2 tsp Chiroli / Chironji
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder *
- 1/4 tsp Saffron / Kesar
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a pan and roast makhana on low flame till they become crisp.
- Let them cool down completely and then take 1/4 makhanas and just crush them slightly or pulse to make 2-3 piece of a makhana.
- Coarsely grind the rest of the makhana and keep aside
- Coarsely grind or crush the almond ,pista and cashews.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan for 5 minutes.
- Now add ground phool makhana and nuts and cook on low flame for approx-15 minutes
- Add sugar and cook for 10 minutes ,keep stirring.
- Add cardamom powder and saffron.
- Serve hot or cold
- Clean and remove the black hard covering which may be stuck to the outer portion of phool makhana.
- If the phool makhana is quite old then you need to check the center portion of it by slit opening few pieces ,there may be some worms hiding inside.