Moong Daal Kachori-Crisp homemade pastry shells stuffed with mildly spiced bean sprout filling
Moong Daal Kachori -are very popular breakfast and snack from North India.They are flaky and crisp shells made with refined flour, stuffed with either savory or sweet stuffing but a savory version is the most popular version of kachoris.
These moong sprout kachoris are often made on festivals,on every special occasion or can be made any day whenever you want to have something crisp and spicy. Kachoris are easily available in all restaurants ,chat corners and on roadside stalls.They are served with chutney, kadi or aloo ki sabzi depending on each city and region. In Rajasthan kachoris are served with kadi and in Uttar Pradesh kachoris are served with sweet and sour kaddu ki subzi. and thin potato curry
They are usually made with refined flour/maida but can also be made with wheat flour or a mix of wheat flour and refined flour or even with multigrain flour. Stir fried spicy lentil or vegetable mixture is made to stuff inside the kachori and then the stuffed kachoris are deep fried on medium heat till golden and crisp.
There are so many variations and versions of making kachoris .If you love making kachoris then do check this kachori recipe from my blog -The popular Urad daal ki khasta kachori , Aloo ki kachori, Corn kachori , Moong daal ki khasta kachori and tangy and spicy Kachori chaat
Moong Sprout Kachori
For Outer coving/puff
- 2 cup Refined Flour / Maida
- 3 tbsp Semolina / Sooji
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- To taste Salt / Namak
For the Stuffing
- 3 cups Bean sprouts/moong sprouts
- 1 medium Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint / Hara Pudina chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1 tbsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 2.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
For the outer covering/puff
- Mix and sift flour,sooji and salt in a bowl
- Add oil and lemon juice in the flour and rub to mix well
- Add water and make a soft dough.Cover and keep aside for 20 minute
- Wash bean sprouts very well with normal water to remove the smell.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add cumin,chopped green chili and asafoetida
- When cumin start crackling add bean sprouts and saute for a minute .Now add turmric and salt and 1 tsp of water
- Cover and cook on low flame till it get cooked but remain crunchy,don’t over cook them.
- Now add mashed potato and all the spices .Stir fry for a minute.
- Take out in a bowl and let it cool down completely.Now add chopped mint and coriander and mix .
Making of Kachori
- Knead the prepared dough to make it soft and pliable.Make small size balls of equal size from the dough and keep aside.
- Cover the balls with a damp cloth .
- Take a ball and flatten it a little with the rolling pin.Put about 1.5 tbsp of filling in the center.
- Bring together all the sides and collect in the middle .Close it and press it slightly,make sure it will seal properly.
- Press the kachori with your palm to flatten it slightly.
- Heat enough oil in a deep pan.When it become medium hot then gently slide few kachoris in hot oil.
- Now lower the temperature to medium.The kachori will puff up then turn the side.
- Fry it till it become golden from both the sides.
- Drain the fried kachori on a paper napkin.Serve hot .