Karela thepla-Flat Bread /paratha made with karela/bitter gourd peel, grated mango and spices
Parathas, roti and thepla’s are regularly made in Indian kitchens for lunch and dinner. They are normally made with wheat flour but now as every one become health conscious so multi grain flour is often preferred for making roti and parathas.
Thepla is the thinner and spiced version of paratha .There are so many different types of theplas are made just like the variety of parathas. . The most popular is obviously the Methi thepla but plain salted theplas are also loved and served with curries and tea.
Karela is the summer special vegetable and I love karela in all forms so made varieties of curries ,stuffed karela ,pakoda and kachris with karela. If you too like karela/bitter gourd then do try this recipes from my blog– Stuffed karela, Karela kachri , Crunchy karela pakoda , Achari Karela , Tangy Stuffed Karela ,
After making karela sabzi we often discard the karela peels which are equally nutritious and delicious . But When ever I make karela most of the times I use the karela with out peeling and if I do peel them then I use the peels in the karela stuffing or make these delicious and nutritious karela thepla . The fussy eaters of my family eat these karela theplas happily without guessing the ingredients .so next time when you make karela then don’t throw the peel ,use them in the theplas.
I always serve this karela thepla with Aloo tamatar ki sabzi, pickle and yogurt but you can serve it with any curry of your choice.
Karela Thepla Recipe
- 1.5 cup Whole Wheat Flour / Atta
- 1/2 cup Gram flour / Besan
- 1 cup karela peel/karela ka chilka
- 4 tbsp Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam grated (optional)
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf coarsely ground
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- to taste salt
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel to add in the dough
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2 tsp sesame seeds /til
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- Apply 1/3 tsp salt on the karela/bitter gourd peels and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Wash them well with water and chop finely or mince in the chopper.
- In a bowl add the wheat flour ,gram flour and all the spices and mix well.
- Now add karela peel, grated raw mango and oil and mix well.
- Add water and make a medium hard dough .
- Make equal size balls from the dough.
- Dust the dough ball with dry flour and roll with a rolling pin and make a thin chapati/tortilla.
- Put the rolled chapati on medium hot griddle/tawa and dry roast from both sides.
- Now apply little oil or ghee on both sides and cook by pressing with a spatula till golden spots appear on both sides.
- Remove from the griddle and serve hot with yogurt ,aloo curry and pickle,