Punjabi kala chana Masala Recipe, Kala Chana curry
Kala chana Masala Recipe-Black chickpea curry cooked with tomatoes and basic Indian spices- a Punjabi speciality
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time44 mins
- 1.25 cup Black Chickpeas / Kala Chana
- 1/3 cup Bengal Gram / Chana Daal
- 4 large Tomatoes / Tamatar 400 gms
- 1 large Potatoes / Aloo boiled(optional)
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/3 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 2 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 1 Black Cardamom / Badi Elaichi
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
Wash and soak black chana and chana daal for about 5-6 hours in enough water.
Drain the water and rinse the soaked chana with fresh water.
Take the soaked kala chana andd chana daal in the pressure cooker and add water,salt ,black cardamom and ginger (water should be around 1.5 inch above the chana )
Now pressure cook for 6-7 whistles on medium heat.(or cook till chana/chickpeas become soft)
Grind tomatoes and green chilies and make a smooth paste.
Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds and when they start to crackle add all the remaining tempering ingredients and saute till cumin become golden in colour.
Now add the tomato puree, turmeric, chili powder, black salt and coriander powder and cook till oil start separating from the sides of the masala.
Add the cooked chana, garam masala, mango powder,chopped boiled potato pieces in the tomato masala and cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
Now add fresh coriander and serve hot with rice,pooris or parathas.