Palak Methi Muthiya
Steamed savory dumplings of spinach and fresh fenugreek
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 3 cup Spinach / Palak Finely chopped
- 1.5 cup Fresh Fenugreek / Hari Methi Finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Gram flour / Besan
- 4 tbsp whole wheat flour/atta
- 2 tbsp Semolina / Sooji
- 2 tbsp Pearl millet flour /Bajra aata
- 3 tbsp Yogurt / Dahi
- 2 tbsp Ginger Chilli Paste
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
Tempering /Tadka /waghar/
- 2.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1.5 tsp sesame seeds /til
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 5 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch slit lengthwise
Wash and squeeze water from spinach and methi leaves and then chop them finely.
In a big bowl add the chopped leaves ,all the flours ,semolina,curd ,oil,soda ,1.5 tbsp lemon juice ,salt ,sugar ,ginger chili paste,cumin seeds and salt and mix well to make a soft dough.
If the mixture is too soft to handle then add some more gramflour and wheat flour.
Grease your palms and make long medium thick logs of about 6 inch and 1 inch diameter.
Boil about 2 glasses of water in a steamer and grease the sieve or plate which you will use for steaming.
When water start boiling place all the rolled logs in the steamer and then cover the pan and steam for about 30 minutes on medium heat.
When done remove the logs from then pan and let them cool down slightly.
Slice the steamed logs into medium size slices.
Tempering - heat oil in a broad deep pan.
Add mustard seeds and sesame seeds in it.
When seeds start to crackle then add asafoetida ,curry leaves and green chilies.
Now add the sliced muthiyas in it and stir fry for a minute.
Add 1.5 tbsp of lemon juice and fresh coriander and mix.
Serve hot with coconut chutney or mint chutney