How To Punjabi Maa Choley Ki Daal / Lungar Wali Daal
Langar wali Daal- Mildly spiced and creamy daal made with bengal gram and white lentils-specialty from Punjab
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 person
- 3/4 cup Split White Gram / Safed Urad daal
- 1/2 cup Bengal gram /chana daal
- 1.5 cup Tomato / Tamatar chopped
- 1 tsp Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Dried Fenugreek / Kasoori Methi
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- to taste salt
- 1.5 tbsp Butter, Unsalted / Makkhan
- 2.5 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 1/4 TSP Asafoetida / Hing powder
Wash and soak both lentils together in enough water for 1/2 minutes
After 1/2hour slightly rub and then drain the water in which it is soaked.
Add the lentils in a pressure cooker and add grated ginger,chili, turmeric and 2 cups of water.
Pressure cook on medium heat for 2 whistles or till daal get cooked (don't overcook)
In a heavy bottom pan add ghee when become slightly hot then add cumin,hing and bay leaves
Now add chopped tomato,chopped ginger and salt and cook till tomato become soft.
Then add chili powder, turmeric and coriander powder and keep stirring till oil starts seperating.
Add cooked dal, 2 cups of water,kasoori methi and garam masala in the pan and mix gently.
Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes.keep stirring in between else it may stick at the bottom.
Add butter,fresh chopped coriander and serve hot.
Serving suggestions-Can serve with roti, paratha, kulcha, steamed rice or jeera rice