Sabudana Khichdi- sago pearl ,potato and peanut pilaf -perfect recipe for fasting
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1.5 cup Tapioca Pearls / Sago / Sabudana
- 1 Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/2 cup Peanuts / Moongphali
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
Wash sabudana 2 times to remove the excess starch and then soak it in water ,the water level should not be 1/4 inch above the sabudana (you may need about 2.25 cups of water to soak sabudana,if you add too much water then sabudana will become sticky)
Soak it overnight or minimum for 8 hours for best result.
Peel and chop potato into small cubes.
Crush the peanuts or just grind to make a coarse powder,it depends on your choice
Take A big bowl and add soaked sabudana,salt ,sugar,pepper powder, ginger and lemon juice and mix well.
Heat ghee or oil in a heavy bottom or non stick pan.
Now add cumin and green chilies in the pan and let it crackle.
Add crushed peanuts in the pan and saute on low heat till they become golden in colour.
Add boiled cubed potatos and pinch of salt and saute for few seconds.
Add the sabudana mixture and mix well.
Cover and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes ,keep stirring in between 2-3 times so it will not stick and burn at the bottom.
After 5 minutes the sabudana will become translucent and shiny,then its done.
Now add fresh coriander and mix.
Serve sabudana khichdi hot.
Serving suggestions- serve with curd and mint chutney
- Try to get good quality of sabudana, if you get thick white starchy water while washing then it is not of good quality,if you wash and get very light colour water then it is of good quality.if the sabudana is not of good quality it will surely become sticky and soggy while cooking.
- When you soak sabudana in water then the water level should not be more then 1/4 inch above the sabudana else it may turn sticky.
- you can also add fried potato cubes instead of adding boiled potato cubes.
- Can add mango powder instead of lemon juice.
- You can add whole, crushed peanuts or powdered peanuts or a mix of both ,depends on individual choice.
- Overnight soaking of sabudana gives best results as compared to saoking for 2-3 hours.
- you can also soak sabudana and then keep it refrigerated for a week,it also give nice result.