Khatti Meethi Tuvar Daal – Tangy delicious Tuvar Dal ,Arhar Ki Daal ,Pigeon pea cooked in U.P style
Khatti Meethi Tuvar daal/ Arhar daal is the staple of North and South India. In South India it is used to make rasam and sambhar. In North India every region have its own variation of making arhar daal ,with different tempering and preferred spices.
I have also posted these delicious recipes of-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Tuvar daal Uttar Pradesh Style / Pigeon Peas cooked the Uttar Pradesh way
- 1 cup Pigeon Pea / Tuvar / Arhar ki daal
- 1 medium Tomato chopped
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 tsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee *
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 3/4 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 4 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- Wash and soak tuvar daal for 20 minutes in 2 cups of water.
- Add soaked daal in the pressure cooker with chopped tomato, green chillies, 2 cups water and 1 tsp of oil.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium heat. OR cook in a pan till it become soft to touch.
- After the cooker has cooled down, open and mash the daal with a ladle.
- Add ginger, salt, sugar ,turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder and 1.5 glasses of water.
- Mix well and let it boil for another 10 minutes on low heat.
- Make the tempering - Heat ghee in a small pan (on slow heat) add fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and mustard. when they start crackling add asafoetida and whole red chillies.
- Pour this tempering in the boiling daal, add lemon juice and 1 tblsp of chopped coriander.
- Cover the pan with a lid and Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add lemon juice and fresh coriander and mix.
- Serve hot with 1 tsp of ghee on top.
- Serving suggestion- serve with steamed rice and roti.
- You can use 3 tbsp of chopped raw mango at step 5 ,instead of lemon juice .
- Addition of sugar is optional.