Daal karela -Bitter gourd cooked with bengal gram and spices
- Bitter gourd-300 gms(4 medium size)
- Chana daal( bengal gram)-100 gms
- Tomato-2 medium
- Red chilli powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Sugar-1 tsp
- Lemon juice-1 tbls
- Refined oil-2 tbls
- Wash and soak the chana daal in enough water for 20 minutes.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles with a glass of water and 1/4 t.s turmeric (take care that the daal will cook but not become soft and mushy)
- Lightly scrap the bitter gourd ,slice in roundels and soak in salted water for 20 minutes.
- Drain and wash twice with enough water and then squeeze the water.
- Spread and press on a towel to absorb the extra water .
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the slices in batches to a golden colour on medium flame.
- Heat 2 tbls oil in a pan and add chopped tomatoes and salt .cover and cook till become soft.
- Now mash the tomatoes and add turmeric and chilli powder.
- Fry for a minute and add 3/4 cup water .
- When it start boiling add the boiled daal ,sugar and fried bitter gourd slices.
- Cover and cook on low flame till done
- Add lemon juice and mix.
- Serve hot
Serving suggestions-serve with roti, rice or as a side dish
Daal Karela , Bitter Gourd cooked with bengal gram
Servings: 3 people