Cabbage Potato Curry- Stir Fried cabbage and Potato curry -specialty from Bengal
Cabbage Potato Curry -Today I am posting my children’s favorite cabbage and potato curry.I learned this from my neighbor whose mother-in-law was a Bengali.I am not sure whether this is an authentic Bengali recipe or her own creation.
But it taste just awesome and I am sure you all will love this delicious curry which goes well with roti and rice both.
This Bengali style Curry recipe is quite different then the usual recipe of making cabbage curry. Usually we just chop cabbage and add in the tempering and cook. But for making this curry first the cabbage is chopped finely .
After chopping it is added in the tempering and stir fried till the cabbage turn slight brown at the edges. The real taste of this curry comes from the roasted cabbage so do it properly. Then tomatoes are added and cooked till soft and pulpy.
You can also try these delicious Bengali Recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback!
You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Bengali Cabbage and Potato Curry
- 500 gms Cabbage/Pattagobhi
- 3 Potatoes medium
- 4 Tomatoes/Tamatar
- 2.5 tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander powder/ Dhaniya Powder
- 1/3 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- to Taste Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
For The Tempering
- 5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds/ Rai
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds/ Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seed/ Methi Dana
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon/Daalchini
- 2 Cloves/ lavanag
- 2 Bayleaves
- 4 Dried whole red Chilies
- Slice the cabbage into 2 and then finely Shred the cabbage ( approx 5 cups)
- Peel and chop potatoes into medium size pieces and chop tomato into fine pieces.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan,add the tempering ingredients on low flame.
- When seeds start crackling and become golden in colour ,add the shredded cabbage and fry on high heat for 1 minute, then fry on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring the cabbage,till the sides of cabbage become golden brown.(like the above pic) and don’t skip this ,as the main taste comes from the roasted cabbage.
- Now add the chopped tomato and salt and cover and cook on low flame till tomato become soft and mushy.
- Add chopped potatoes,coriander powder and chili powder (reduce the amount of chili ,if you are not using kashmiri chill powder) fry for a minute and add 1.5 glasses of water.(water level should be approx.1.5 inch above the vegetable)
- Cook covered till done(approx 10 minutes) and if all the water is absorbed till now,then add some warm water(approx.1 cup) at this stage to have some gravy.
- Then add sugar and garam masala and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve hot.
- Serving suggestions-best with rice,khichdi ,roti or as a side dish