Hara bhara kabab -Mildly spiced Spinach, Peas and Potato Patties – from North India
Hara bhara kabab is the most popular vegetarian kabab of North India, you can find this in every restaurant’s menu card. Addition of spinach, cottage cheese and peas make it healthy and rich in Iron, Folic Acid , Calcium and Fiber. It is mildly flavored and easy to cook and easy to digest.you can also use these kabab to make healthy burgers for children.
How To Make Hara Bhara Kabab
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Hara Bhara Kabab (Spinach and Green Peas Patties)
- 20 leaves Spinach leaves/ palak patta
- 3/4 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar boiled
- 2 Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 1/2 cup Paneer / Cottage Cheese crumbled
- 1.5 tsp Semolina/Cream of Wheat/Sooji
- 3 Green chilies/Hari Mirch
- 5 Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 1/3 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt / Namak
- 3/4 tsp Chat masala
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- To Fry Refined Oil or Ghee
- Wash and remove the stalks of spinach,use the tender leaves only.
- Boil enough water in a pan and add 1/2 tsp sugar ,when water start boiling add in the spinach and wait till the leaves wilt and change the colour(don’t overcook)
- Drain and refresh with cold water ,and squeeze all the water from the spinach leaves,by pressing in between a cloth napkin.soak the cashew halves in water
- Now grind the boiled peas and green chilies in the mixer,without adding any water.
- Then add spinach leaves and grind again, remove the paste in a bowl
- Heat 1.5 tsp ghee(clarified butter)in a non stick pan and then add cumin seeds .
- When it become red ,then add in the spinach paste and saute for few seconds on medium heat.
- Now add semolina and saute till it start leaving the pan (approx.for a minute) .
- Remove the mixture from the pan and let it cool down completely.
- Now add mashed potato,cottage cheese and spices and mix well.
- Make 10 balls from the mixture and shape into round pattices,press a cashew in the centre.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil or ghee in a non stick pan and shallow fry the pattice on medium heat till golden in colour.
- Drain on a paper napkin and serve hot.
- Serving Suggestions – Serve with a tangy dip or ketchup.
1-You can skip the cooking process of the spinach puree (step 6 to 9)and directly add it in the potato and paneer mixture.
2-You may substitute semolina with corn flour or roasted gram flour (add it at step-10).