Karela Kachri -Bitter gourd cooked and stir fried with Indian spices
Karela kachri -Bitter gourd is among the few vegetables which are very healthy but are disliked by most of the people.It has numerous health benefits,it detoxes the blood,helps in diabetes as it controls the blood sugar level.
But as Me and my family like karela,so I often use it during the season,personally I like stuffed karela the most . But my family don’t like too much spices so I often try different recipes to make with bitter gourd/ karela. You can make stir fry, poori, paratha,fritters and so many things with karela.
But as Bharwa karela takes little extra time to stuff and cook,so sometimes I make this karela kachri sabzi which taste almost the same but doesn’t need that much time to cook.I prefer to use bitter gourd with out peeling the skin but you can peel or scrape karela if you wish.
You can also try these karela recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Twitter and Instagram for more delicious recipes and updates
Karela kachri Subzi / Bitter Gourd Stir Fry
karela kachri-sliced bitter gourd stir fried with Indian spices
Servings: 6 people
- 400 gms Bitter Gourd / Karela
- 1 Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1.5 tbsp Fennel powder/ Pisi Saunf
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 4.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel *
- Wash and slice bitter gourds in medium thick pieces.(roundels or batons)Add 2 tsp salt in the slices,mix and keep covered for 1/2 hour.Wash them well with water and then squeeze well.
- If the bitter gourds are too bitter then you can boil them for 5 minutes in water with little salt and sugar added.
- Peel and grate raw mango.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan ,then add whole fennel seeds.When fennel seeds become golden then add turmeric powder and karela pieces
- Saute for a minute and then add salt and grated raw mango,mix well.Cover and cook on low heat till done.
- Keep stirring in between,so it will cook properly and will not stick and burn at the bottom.When done add all the spices and mix well.
- Cook for approx.2 minutes on low heat with out covering the pan,stir 2-3 times in between.
Add 1 tbsp of oil if needed
- Cook for approx.2 minutes on low heat with out covering the pan,stir 2-3 times in between.Serve hot or cold.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Serving suggestions-best served with daal and rice or any Indian bread.
- may substitute mustard oil with any cooking oil of your choice .
- *If raw mango is not available then use 2 tsp of dry mango powder.