Tomato Rice-Flavorful and mild rice pilaf cooked with tomato and mint
Tomato Rice- Rice and rice preparations are favorite food in all the states of India,though it is the staple diet of southern India but in many North Indian states rice is also consumed on daily basis. Different variety of rice preparations are made according to individual choice and regional specialty.
What is Tomato Rice
This tangy tomato rice is a specialty from Southern India and there are so many variation of making this .I learned this recipe from a friend of mine and since then I make it often, This is also a easy and delicious recipe to use the leftover steamed rice .
You can also add some boiled vegetables in it to make it more nutritious .This tomato rice is very good as a lunch box recipe or tiffin variety or to use as a travel food .You don’t need any accompaniment to go with this . A bowl of yogurt ,some salad and papad can be served if you want some thing to serve along.
How To make Tomato Rice-
There are 2 ways to make this tomato rice. One is to boil the rice first or use your leftover rice and then add in the prepared tomato masala.
Second method is to make the tomato masala first (follow step- 4,5,6,7,8 first and then add the soaked drained rice in the prepared masala and cook it rice is done)
.Do which ever method suits you. Both ways it gives best results and taste awesome.You can make tomato pulao in a pan,rice cooker or can use your pressure cook
If you love making rice/pilaf/pulao then do try these-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 1.5 cup Rice/ Chawal
- 400 gms Tomatoes / Tamatar Chopped
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Sambhar Powder optional
- 1/4 cup Fresh Mint Leaves/ Pudina
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 1 Inch Beetroot Slice Optional
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1.5 tsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin/ Jeera
- 1 tsp White lentil/ Urad daal
- 1/4 Cup Cashew/ Kaju
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Green Chilies
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.
- Take a big pan add enough water and 1 tsp salt and boil.When water start boiling add the soaked rice and cook till almost done.(you can also add chopped vegetables of your choice at this stage)
- Drain the boiled rice in a colander and keep aside.
- Grind tomato and make a smooth puree.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan.Add cashew pieces and fry till golden in colour ,drain and keep aside.
- Now add urad daal, mustard seed and cumin in the oil.When seeds start crackling add chopped green chilies and curry leaves.
- Now add the tomato puree and all the spices and cook till it started to thicken
- Add chopped mint, boiled rice and fried cashews and mix gently.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes on slow flame.Serve hot .
- Serving suggestions-serve with yogurt,pickle and poppadoms