Aloo ka halwa is a popular and delicious dessert from North India specially in Uttar Pradesh. It is the easiest and quickest halwa I have ever made. It can be eaten during fasting or as vrat ka khana/falahaar.
My mom used to make this halwa especially during ekadashi and other fasting day as it is quick and filling and I learnt to make this from her. I have seen that many prefer to make this halwa from raw grated potatoes but personally I like to use boiled and mashed (not grated) potatoes to make this.
Do not use oil to make this halwa, use desi ghee to get that wonderful taste and aroma.
- Sabudana Vada
- Batayacha Kees
- Moongphali aloo ki sabzi
- Rajgiri ki poori aur Jeera aloo
- Vrat ki ras wale aloo ki sabzi
- Phool makhana Kheer
Aloo Ka Halwa / Potato Pudding
- 400 grams Potatoes / Aloo boiled , 3 medium *
- 1 cup Sugar / Chini or 3/4 cup **
- 4.5 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 1 tbsp Water / Paani
- 10 Almonds / Badam
- 10 Pistachio / Pista
- Peel and mash the boiled potatoes.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan or use a non stick pan.
- Now add the mashed potato and saute on medium heat.
- Keep stirring the halwa else it will start charring and sticking at the bottom.
- After approximately 10 minutes it will change colour and turn light golden and start giving out a nice aroma.
- Add sugar and water and keep stirring till it starts leaving the sides of the pan .
- Now add cardamom powder and chopped almonds and pitachios.
- Mix well and serve hot.
1-*you can also make this halwa with boiled sweet potato/shakarkand,then you have to use little less quantity of sugar.
2-* *You can adjust the quantity of sugar according to your taste.