Red Coconut chutney recipe – A hot and tangy dip of roasted lentil,coconut and red chilies
This red coconut chutney is also very popular to serve with idli and vadas. You can adjust the quantity of red chilies according to your taste.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Red Coconut Chutney
- 1 cup Fresh coconut grated
- 3 tbsp Bengal gram/chana daal
- 10 Dried whole red chilies
- Lemon size Tamarind
- To Taste Salt
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp White lentil/ urad daal
- 10 Curry leaves
- pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add chana daal and roast on low flame till it become red in colour.
- Add red chilies and saute till it change its colour.
- Add coconut and tamarind and remove the pan from the flame..Stir fry for few seconds. Let it cool down completely.
- Add the ingredients in a mixer jar . Add some water and salt and grind to make a smooth paste.
- Take out the chutney in a bowl.
- Heat 1.5 tsp of oil in a small pan and add urad daal and mustard seedsWhen seeds start crackling add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Now add the tempering in the chutney and mix well
- Stay fresh for 2 days at room temperature then keep refrigerated
- Serving suggestions- serve with idli, dosa, vada, paniyaram, rice or any snack of your choice