Sai Bhaji – A very healthy curry made with spinach,lentils and mix vegetables
Sai means green and bhaji means vegetables.there are so many version and combination of vegetables to make this healthy dish. Bhatia community from Sindh also make this and call this khichu saag.
Sai bhaji is normally served with yellow rice OR bhuga chawal(brown rice), Raita, baigan and aloo tuk (fried potatoes and brinjals ) and papad are the best accompaniment for this signature sindhi dish.
As Sai bhaji is loaded with greens and assorted vegetables,this is a very good source of Iron, Folic acid, vitamin A,C,K , fibre etc.
Sai Bhaji with Yellow Rice
- 3 cup Spinach / Palak chopped
- 1 cuo Bottle Gourd / Lauki
- 3/4 cup Dill Leaves/ suwa bhaji/ shepu
- 1/2 cup Bengal gram /chana daal
- 3 medium Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1 medium Potatoes / Aloo
- 3/4 cup Brinjals / Baingan
- 3/4 cup Yam / Suran
- 3 inch lotus steam
- 10 Cluster beans /Guvar phali
- 1/2 cup khatta bhaji
- 3 tbsp Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1.5 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
For The Tempering /tadka
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 5 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- Wash and chop potato and yam in medium size pieces and bottle gourd ,brinjal,raw mango,ginger and tomato in small pieces
- Wash and chop spinach ,dill (remove the hard and thick steams of dill and spinach) and green chilies and trim the ends of whole cluster beans and make 1 inch size pieces.
- Wash,scrap and make thin slice of lotus steam .
- Wash and soak chana daal in water for approx. 1/2 hour
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker,then add chopped green chilies and asafoetida.
- Now add ginger,soaked chana daal and spinach ,saute for few seconds.
- Add all the vegetables and 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistle on medium heat or till cooked properly.
- When cool down completely, open the cooker and slightly mash the curry with a ladle or a whisk.
- Some prefer to grind it with a hand blender and make it into a smooth paste,but I prefer to mash it slightly and bite and feel the vegetable.so you can do according to your preference.taste great both ways:)
- Add 1/2 cup water(can add 1- 1 .5 cup,according to the thickness u want) then mix and cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat
- Add 1 tsp ghee and serve hot
1 - If raw mango is not available then add mango powder OR lemon juice at the end of cooking.
2--khatta bhaji-Indian sorrel leaves