Waffle Uttapam – A savory waffle made with rice lentil batter and vegetables
Waffles Uttapam- are usually made with a flour mixture and are sweet in taste. But as I am not fond of those sweet waffles, my waffle maker was just lying in the store corner. Last week, I had some guests at my place and I was not in the mood to serve them the routine uttapam or idli so I tried making uttapam in the waffle maker and everyone loved them! They’re also low fat and look great.
I have added tomato, corn, capsicum, and carrots into the uttapam batter but you can add any vegetable of your choice in it. It is a very healthy snack for kids tiffin box as it taste good even after it becomes cold. You can easily recreate this dish with the Best Waffle Maker. You might even want to adapt the recipe to make it your own.
Most of the South Indian snacks and tiffins are healthy and low fat.Whether it is the most popular Masala dosa or the steamed Idli or the Kuzhi Paniyaram they taste great with just little fat and few spices and are quite easy to make.The accompaniment served along is Sambhar or different types of chutney like the most popular Coconut chutney and tomato peanut chutney
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 1.5 cup Dosa batter
- 3 tbsp Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 3 tbsp Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch chopped
- 3 tbsp Carrot / Gajar grated
- 3 tbsp Corn Kernels / Makai Dana
- 1 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 tsp Chili flakes /Kuti hui laal mirch
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- Deseed tomatoes and chop them finely.
- Discard the seeds and chop the capsicum and keep aside.
- In a big bowl add the dosa batter,all chopped vegetable and spices and mix it well.
- Grease the waffle maker with little oil and heat it.
- Pour the prepared batter in the cavity and level it.
- Drizzle little oil over it and close it (you can skip adding oil or can use butter or ghee instead of oil )
- Cook till it become light golden in colour ,it may take about 3-4 minutes to cook.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney ,green chutney or tomato ketchup.