karonda ki launji -Sweet and sour karonda and green chili relish
Karonda/Natal plum is a small sized berry which is sour in taste and grows abundantly on thorny bushes during monsoon season in India .It is white and pink in colour when tender and turns red to purple when it matures fully.It mainly grows in Tropical and sub tropical regions.It also has a few medicinal properties as well . It helps to cure worms, fungal infections, anemia, diarrhea,fever, skin and ear infections etc.Karonda is a tart berry so mainly it is used for making pickles, chutney, jam and different types of preserves.
Karonda has a bunch of seeds inside which should be removed if they are hard and brown in colour because they taste bitter and are hard to cook but the tender white seeds can be consumed and no need to remove them. Just slit open the berry with a sharp knife and then scoop and remove the ripe hard seeds. Karondas are not easily available in all the cities and states during the season and they also have a short shelf life and stays fresh for only 3-4 days at room temperature so it is better to keep karondas in the refrigerator so they stay fresh for approx 10-15 days .
Karondas are not available in my part of world so on a recent visit to India my husband brought some karondas and I tried few recipes with it which I will post soon.This Karonda mirch ki launji is my childhood favourite, my mother always makes it when karondas are in season.I learned to make Aam ki launji, Kamrakh ki Lunji , Amla ki Launji and Methidana Ki Launji from my mother and often make them on a regular basis.Karonda ki launji is quite easy to make and tastes awesome with any thing .I prefer it with daal chawal or any stuffed parathas.it stays fresh for 15 days in the refrigirator .
Karonda ki launji
- 500 gms Karonda/ Natal Plum
- 150 gms Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1.5 cup Sugar / Chini
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash karond and slit into two to remove the hard brown seeds.
- Wash and chop green chilies into roundals.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds .
- When cumin start crackling add the chopped green chilies and karonda and saute for a minute.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and 3/4 cup of water and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for few minutes till karonda become soft.
- Now add sugar and simmer till the gravy thicken slightly, don't over cook as it thicken further when it cool down completely.
- You can also skip adding red chili powder if you want to make it sweet and tangy .
- Store in a glass jar when it cool down completely.
- This launji easily stays well in the refrigerator for approx 15 days and on room temperature it stays well for 3-4 days.
- Serving suggestion- Goes well with rice ,roti or any snack.