Janmashtami Recipes – Recipes for Janmashtami and Navaratri fasting and celebrations!
Janmashtami Recipes- Shri Krishna Janmashtami is celebrated all over India to mark the birth Anniversary of Lord Krishna. This year it will be celebrated on 24 th Auguat. All temples will be decorated with lights and flowers and at midnight, “Krishna Janm” will be celebrated in most temples and houses.
Since I am from Mathura, this day is even more special for me. At midnight, the city of Mathura is a lovely sight. People come up to their roofs of their houses, and ring bells, drums, plates with spoons – to mark the time of birth of Shri Krishna.
An entire city creating these sounds in unison, and you participating in it, seeing people on their rooftops to kilometers in every direction – is a very unique and special sight. Do try and visit Mathura on Janmashtmi eve once!
Several sweet and savory items are prepared in each and every home for Krishna Janmashtami celebrations. Dhaniya ki panjiri, Sabudana khichdi and Mewa paag are made with other prashad items. Most Krishna devotees fast on janmashtami and do only falahaar.
What to Eat for Janmashtami Fasting-
Hindu religious fasting i.e Janmashtami, Navratri, Shivratri, Ekadashi, only permit certain grains, vegetables and spices are used. This list varies according to every family’s specific traditions, but these are the main grain, vegetables, and spices which are used during fasting –
- Flours– kuttu aata/buckwheat flour, rajgiri atta/ amaranth flour, singhoda aata/ water chestnut flour, sama/ samu/ varai/ Barnyarn Millet , Sabudana/ sago/ tapioca pearls, arrowroot
- Spices – Sendha namak/Rock salt, Amchoor/mango powder, Kali mirch/pepper powder, Cumin/jeera, Carom seeds/Ajwain, Asafoetida/ Hing, Cloves/ Lavang
- Vegetables – Aloo/potato, Arbi/colocasia, Sweet potato/shakarkand, Yam/jimikand, Raw banana, lauki/ bottle gourd , yellow pumpkin /kaddu, Raw Papaya/papita, Cucumber/kheera, lemon/ neebu, Green chili, Ginger/adrak ,bathua and Green coriander
- Nuts – All the dry fruits and Nuts can be used in fasting i.e – Cashew, Phool makhana, Almonds, Chiroli, Raisins, Coconut, Walnut, Peanuts, Pine nuts, Prunes, Pecans, Pumpkin seeds,Sunflower Seeds
- Fruits– All the fruits- raw or ripe, sweet or sour are allowed to use during fasting.
- Dairy Products– Milk, Yogurt, Paneer, khoya, Cream, Malai, butter, ghee ,lassi.
- Sweets– All the sweets made purely with milk, khoya or paneer or nuts can be consumed.Desserts made with the allowed fruits,vegetables and nuts. i.e- potato halwa, doodhi halwa, sweet potato kheer etc.
- Cooking Medium– Ghee, butter and any cooking oil can be used but peanut and sunflower is the preferred oil to use during fasting.
I am sharing few Fasting Recipes which you can make for Krishna Janmashtami celebration-
- Buff vada/ Nariyal aloo kachori
- Phool makhana kheer
- Kuttu aloo pakodi
- Aloo mongphali ki sabzi
- Rajgiri poori aur Jeera aloo
- Sabudana vada
- Paneer kheer
- Batayacha Kees
- Dhaniya Panjeeri
- Sabudana Thalipeeth
- Aloo Halwa
- Aloo Lachcha Chivda Namkeen
- Vrat ki aloo ki sabzi
- Milk Halwa / Palkova
- Rajgiri paratha
- Namkeen Phool makhana
- Vrat ka Medu vada
- Kuttu dahi vada
- Vrat ka Paneer pakoda
- Aam papad Chutney
- Perfect Sabudana khichdi
- Kuttu Aloo Ki Poori
- Vrat ki Muthiya
- Rajgiri ka batata Vada
- Samak Dahi Ki Khichdi
- Samak Ki Idli
- Vrindavan ki special arbi
- Yellow Pumpkin Raita
- Date and Almond Milk
- Rajgiri Aloo Ki Kadhi aur Samak Ke Chawal