Andhra Avakkai Pickle- A tangy delicious spicy raw Mango Pickle Avakaya
Avakkai Pickle is a very popular ,spicy delicious pickle from Southern India. Among all the pickle made all over India raw mango pickle is the most popular one,.
Each state have its own specialty pickle which is very popular there. This Avakkai pickle is a quite easy and simple to make as it have only few ingredients . Among all the mango pickle recipes I made regularly this is the most easiest pickle with just 4 spices.
You just have to cut the mangoes into small bite size pieces but make sure to wash and wipe them well as slight moisture can ruin your pickle. The spices should also be sun dried to remove the moisture.
How To Make Avakkai Pickle
First if all choose good quality raw mangoes . Then soak them in water for few hours to clean the sap and then wipe them well to remove all the moisture on the mangoes.
Then cut mangoes into small bite size pieces. If possible then cut with a special knife with the kernel intact with the mango flesh . If not possible then chop the flesh into small pieces. Spread the chopped pieces on a cloth and dry under the fan for 2-3 hours.
Dry roast the fenugreek seeds for 2 minutes till they change there color slightly, switch off the heat and then add mustard seeds in it and stir for a minutes .Dont over roast else they will taste bitter and after cooling grind them to make a fine powder.
Traditionally raw sesame oil is used in this pickle which gives a nice aroma and taste to the pickle. if you don’t want to use it then use groundnut oil /mustard oil/ Sunflower oil instead. Addition of chick peas is optional but recommended.
Do try these delicious Mango pickle recipes-
- Punjabi Mango Pickle
- Kairi Ni Katki
- Gujarati Mango Pickle
- Instant Mango Pickle
- Kairi Cha Takku
- Hing ka Achar
- Gujarati Chana Methi Keri Ka Acha
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Avakkai Pickle/ Avakaya
- Knife, pots
- 2 kg Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam
- 1.5 cup Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 4 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1.5 CUP Salt / Namak
- 2 cup Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 cup White Chick Peas/ Kabuli Chana optional
- 2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 4 cup Sesame oil or Mustard oil
- 6 tbsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- Wash the raw mangoes after soaking them in water for few hours.
- After washing wipe them well to remove any trace of water.
- Sun dry all the spices to remove any moisture. You can slightly roast the fenugreek and mustard seeds if there is no strong sunlight in your area.
- Using a very sharp big knife chop the mangoes in small bite sized cubes retain the hard shell around the seed, its not easy to do at home so if possible request the vegetable vendor to do so for you.
- Discard the seed and remove the plastic kind peel attached to the hard shell.
- Grind mustard seeds and make a slight coarse powder.
- Slightly crush the fenugreek seeds and mix with mustard powder, asafoetida and red chili powder in a bowl.
- Take a wide large bowl and add the chopped mango pieces, add salt and turmeric and mix well.
- Let it sit for an hour.
- Now add the white chick peas and the mustard , fenugreek ,red chili asafoetida mix in the mangoes.
- Mix well with a ladle.
- Now add the sesame oil or mustard oil in the mango mixture and mix well.
- Take a clean sterilized glass jar and fill the pickle in the jar.
- Cover the container and let it sit for 2-3 days after that you will see the oil will float on top of the pickle.If not then add some more oil now.
- After a week the mango pieces will soften a bit and you can start using the pickle.
- Store the pickle jar in a dry place and use a dry clean spoon to take out the pickle.
- After a month keep the pickle refrigerated or if you want to keep it at room temperature then add some more oil so the pickle will submerge completely in oil.
- Enjoy your delicious hot mango pickle with curd rice , roti ,daal chawal, khichdi or any Indian meal of your choice !