Probiotic Mix Vegetable pickle – A seasonal pickle made of mixed vegetables and roots with a tangy twist of cracked mustard.
Probiotic Mix vegetable pickle is a tangy delicious and healthy pickle. I learned this recipe from a friend many years back . Since then this is the most favorite pickle of my family. My son who usually don’t like to eat pickles just loves this pickle with everything.
You can adjust the spices and vegetables to suit your taste and preference. A lot of vegetables can be added in this pickle but you can choose your favorite ones to add.
What else can be added in this pickle-
Blanched cauliflower, boiled sweet potato. boiled sliced lotus stem , overnight soaked and sliced dry dates can be added in this pickle .You can also add these veggies along with potato, carrot ,yam, brinjal and green chilies.
Very few basic spices are needed to make this pickle. Salt ,turmeric ,chili powder and asafoetida are always available in Indian kitchens,. Rai kuria/ split husked mustard seeds are also needed to make this . If rai kuria is not available then you can grind black mustard used in pickles and add in this pickle.
How to make Mix Vegetable Pickle-
This pickle is very easy and quick to make .You just have to boil the vegetables and chop into big pieces. Grind rai kuria and make a coarse powder. Carrot is the only vegetable which is added raw. Add all the spices in the vegetables and then add mustard oil and water. The ratio of oil and water is almost same and Oil little more then water.
Mix and cover and keep aside the pickle at room temperature for minimum 3 days in summer and for a week in winters. It will ferment naturally and become sour. The probiotic nature of this pickle makes it healthy and good for gut and digestion.
You can serve this as a pickle as well as a sabzi with roti , paratha ,khichdi daal chawal etc. It goes well with almost everything.
After a week keep it refrigerated for a long shelf life. This pickle stays very well for minimum 1.5- 2 months in the refrigerator.
You may also like-
- Gobhi Gajar Shalgum ka achar
- Methi aloo paratha
- Mirch ki tiporey
- Palak raita
- Stuffed Mooli parathas
- Matar Mushroom pulao
Subscribe to my Youtube channel – Maayeka for regular updates of new recipes every week
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Probiotic Mix Vegetable Winter Pickle / Aloo gajar ka khatta Achar
- 5 medium Potatoes / Aloo medium
- 2 Carrots / Gajar
- 300 Brinjals / Baingan
- 8 Dry dates /khaarik
- 1 Lotus Stem/ Kamal kakdi
- 2.5 tbsp Jaggary / Gud *
- 5 tbsp Mustard Seeds / Rai kuria
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 3 tbsp Salt / Namak
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1.5 tbsp Kashmiri Chili powder
- 1.5 cup Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1.5 cup Water / Paani
- Boil, peel and chop potatoes in big pieces.
- Chop brinjal in big pieces and boil brinjal, but do not overcook.
- Scrape, slice and pressure cook the lotus stems.
- peel and chop carrot into thin slices
- Soak dry dates overnight and then remove the seeds and make thin slices.
- Heat oil and then let it come down to room temperature.
- Boil 1 cup water and let it cool down.
- Take all vegetables in a big bowl, add all the spices and jaggery and mix well.
- Now add oil and mix, then add water and mix every thing well
- Apply pressure lightly with your hand on the mix, so that oil and water mixture comes over the vegetables.
- Let it pickle for 4 days. Keep mixing in between.
- After 4 days your pickle is ready to eat.
- This pickle can be kept out side for about 2 weeks and then should be kept refrigerated, else it may become too sour
*You may use any vegetable oil for this pickle, but I personally prefer to use mustard oil for this pickle.
*-Rai kuria is Split and peeled mustard seeds(yellow in colour), If rai kuria is not available then grind black mustard seeds/rai and use(there is slight change in colour but the taste remains the same)
Serving suggestions – Serve with almost anything, and is a great travel food.