Shahi Paneer- a smooth and creamy cottage cheese curry in tomato sauce
Shahi paneer is among the most favourite recipes of paneer. there are various recipes of making this creamy smooth curry . Today I am sharing my way of making Shahi paneer which is slightly different then the regular method of making it.
As I don’t use onion and garlic in my cooking so I have added grated bottle gourd in the curry which gave a nice creamy texture and mild sweetness to the curry. instead of using cream i have added evaporated milk but you can use fresh cream or malai instead.
Always try to use fresh malai paneer to make this curry.If you have kept your paneer in the refrigerator then do take out the paneer at least one hour before cooking the curry.
How To Make Shahi Paneer without onion and garlic
first of all chop paneer into pieces , no need to fry or saute in paneer in oil or ghee. now heat ghee or oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and the whole spices in the oil. when spices start to crackle then add the grated bottle gourd and saute for a minute . now cover the pan with a lid and let the gourd soften a bit.
Add tomatoes and cashew nuts in the pan and let it cook till the tomatoes become soft. Now grind the mixture to make a fine paste and then strain to make a smooth puree. Heat ghee or butter in a pan and add kashmiri chili powder and add in the prepared curry. saute for a minute.
Add 3 tbsp curd and stir to mix.add fresh or dried kasoori methi ,1 tsp chili powder , sugar and mix cover and cook for few minutes. Now add evaporated milk and cook for a minute. add paneer , cardamom powder and garam masala and simmer for 2 minutes. garnish with kasoori methi and serve.
You can also check these recipes-
- Authentic Kashmiri Dum Aloo Recipe
- Beetroot Raita
- Paneer Bhurji
- Masala Hari Mirch
- Gajar Gobhi Shalgum ka Achar
- Punjabi kala Chana Masala
Subscribe to my youtube channel – Maayeka for regular updates of new recipes
Shahi paneer Recipe
- 500 gm Cottage cheese / Paneer
- 1/3 cup Cashew pieces/ Kaju Tukda
- 500 gms Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 3/4 cup Bottle Gourd / Lauki grated
- 175 ml fresh cream check notes
- 1 tbsp kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- to taste salt
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1/3 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar / Chini
- 1 tsp Dried Fenugreek / Kasoori Methi
- 2 tbsp Ghee or oil-1 t.s
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 2 Bayleaves/ Tejpatta
- 1 Black Cardamom / Badi Elaichi
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- 3 Cloves / Lavang
- Cut paneer into medium thick pieces and dip in lukeworm water and keep aside
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan and add cumin ,grated ginger ,and the whole spices
- When seeds start crackling add the cashew pieces and the grated bottle gourd and saute .
- Cover the pan and simmer till bottle gourd become soft.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and salt, cover and cook till tomatoes become soft.
- Remove the whole spices from the cooked tomatoes and let the mixture come to room temperature.
- Grind the mixture to make a smooth puree and then strain it through a sieve
- Heat 3 tbsp ghee or butter in a pan and add 1 tbsp kashmiri chili powder and then add the tomato puree.
- Cook for a minute then add 3 tbsp whisked curd and stir to mix.
- After a minute add 1/4 cup fresh fenugreek or 1 tbsp kasoori methi , 1 tsp red chili powder and cover and simmer for a minute.
- Add 1 tbsp sugar and 3/4 cup fresh cream , 1/3 tsp cardamom powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala and mix well.
- Now add paneer pieces in the curry and mix well. cover the pan and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with some kasoori methi and delicious creamy Shahi paneer is ready to serve.
- Enjoy it with paratha, naan or jeera rice