Churmur Chaat-a delicious crisp and easy to make snack with papdi, boiled chick peas , potatoes and few tangy chutneys
Churmur chaat is a quite popular chaat/ street food from Calcutta. It is available on the street hawkers carts who sells panipur and other chaat items. Few crushed pani puris, some boiled mashed or slices potatoes , boiled kala chana or matar, chopped green chilies are mixed together with chutneys and bhaja masala and then garnished with fresh coriander or sev as per there choice or availability.
It is a deconstructed version of Paani puri or puchka and taste equally delicious. This chaat is usually made with the broken paani puris or the ones which didn’t puffed up while frying, a very good use of those not so great one paani puris .
This churmur chaat is totally different to the papdi chaat or dahi puri as yogurt is not at all used in this chaat instead lemon is squeezed to give a fresh tang and taste. The use of boiled kala chana or soaked and boiled green matar/ ghughni is a must in this Churmur chaat to give a nice bite to the mashed potato’s and papdi’s and to make it healthy and filling. Some hawkers even add few mashed Urad daal pakodis in it but it depends on your choice and the availability with the hawker.
you can also check these recipes-
- 20 Paani puri/ Puchka
- 2 Boiled potatoes /aloo
- 1/2 cup Black Chickpeas / Kala Chana boiled
- 1/4 cup Green matar (Ghughni )
- 2 Green chilies/Hari Mirch chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 2 Lemons / Nimbu
- 2 tbsp Green chutney
For Bhaja Masala
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya
- 5 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 2 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 10 peppercorn
- lemon size tamarind
- to taste salt
- Soak brown chick peas and dried matar overnight.
- Boil with salt till done.(you can use both or either kala chana or matar)
- Peel the boiled potato and chop into small pieces or mash it roughly depending on your preference.
- Soak tamarind in Luke warm water and mash when done. Strain the juice
- Take a bowl add the potato pieces, add salt, black salt, green chili and fresh coriander and mash and mix.
- Now add crushed puchkas, boiled chana or matar and mix well.
- You can also add few mashed urad vada pieces in it.
- Now add bhaja masala, tamarind water or tamarind chutney, green chutney and add lemon juice and mix well
- Garnish with few crushed paani puri and fine besan sev.
- serve immediately.