Posh Vada ,Daal Vada
Posh vada -A popular deep fried winter snack of Jaipur made with mix lentils
Servings: 4 person
- 3/4 cup Green Moong daal/yellow lentil with husk
- 1/2 cup moth ki daal/ turkish gram
- 1/3 cup Chauli /black eye beans
- 2 cup Spinach /palak
- 2 tbsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger / Adrak
- 3 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya
- 2 tsp Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- 2.5 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 6 Cloves / Lavang
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- to deep fry Cooking Oil
Wash and soak all the lentils for 4-5 hours.
Rub the lentils and wash to remove some of the skin from the soaked lentils.
Now drain the water and grind the lentils and ginger and make a thick and coarse paste.
Take out the ground mixture in a wide bowl and keep aside.
Coarsely pound cloves, pepper corns,fennel seeds,cumin and coriander seeds.
Add the crushed spices and the remaining powdered spices in the lentil mixture and beat it well for a minute.
Now add the baking soda and the chopped spinach, green chilies and mix well.
Heat enough oil in a wide deep pan.
When oil become hot then drop spoon full of mixture in the pan, make just enough vadas to fill the pan ,don't over crowd the pan.
Let them cook on medium heat ,then flip and let them cook from both the sides till they become golden brown and crisp.
Drain on a paper napkin to remove the excess oil.
Prick few green chilies and then deep fry in the same hot oil,remove and sprinkle some chat masala over the chilies.
Serve hot crisp posh vadas with fried chilies ,green chili chutney and ketchup.
I have used green daal and mouth daal with skin but you can use daal with out skin/dhuli daal then you need not to wash the dal to remove the skin,can do both ways.