Rava chilla ,sooji uttapam -Quick, light and easy vegetable and semolina pancake
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 5 person
- 1 cup Semolina / Sooji
- 1/2 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1/2 cup Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomato / Tamatar finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Carrot / Gajar grated
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 2 tbsp Corn Kernels / Makai Dana optional
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 2 tsp Chilli Flakes / Kuti Lal Mirch
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt optional
- 2 tbsp Refined Flour / Maida optional
In a bowl add yogurt and 2 cup water and mix well.
In a separate bowl mix all the chopped vegetables, green chili and coriander .
Take out 1/3 of the vegetable mixture and keep aside for topping.
Now In the yogurt mixture add the semolina,refined flour,all the spices and some water to make a medium thick batter and mix well.
Cover the pan and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
Now check the batter and if it become thicker then add some water and mix.
Add the chopped vegetables and the fruit salt and mix.
Heat a non stick pan and grease with some oil and then wipe it with a moist cloth or tissue.
Spread the batter on the pan and sprinkle some topping and gently press with the spatula.
Now cook on medium flame .you can cover it with a lid to cook it faster.
Sprinkle some oil around the uttapam and let it cook from the bottom.
When it looks dry on top then spread some oil on top and gently flip it over.
Cook from the other side and remove from the pan when done.
Serve hot with coconut chutney ,green chutney or any spicy tangy sauce of your choice.
- Addition of refined flour/maida is optional but it helps in holding the batter and easy cooking but you can also substitute it with rice flour or wheat flour.
- Eno makes the uttapam soft and fluffy.
- Chili flakes can be substituted with freshly ground pepper.
- Instead of using curd you can also use slightly sour butter milk.
- Quantity of water depends on the quality of rava so add water accordingly,it will absorb water after soaking,so the final batter should be of medium thickness to spread it easily,don't make a thin batter.