Masala Milk Recipe
Milk Masala - a fragrant, delicious healthy nut and spice blend to make Masala Milk
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 1 jar
- 1 cup Almonds / Badam
- 1 cup Pistachio / Pista
- 1 cup Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 1 tsp Nutmeg/Jaiphal powder
- 1 whole Mace/ Javitri
- 3/4 tsp Saffron / Kesar strands -optional
- 1 tbsp Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch whole
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 15 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 1.5 tsp Dried ginger powder
- 1.5 tbsp Dried Rose flower petals optional
Take a pan and dry roast all the nuts for 2 minutes on low heat. remove from the pan and keep aside to cool down completely
Heat a heavy bottom pan on low heat and then add the saffron and roast for few seconds and then remove the pan from the heat. the saffron strands will start curling or shrinking slightly and become crisp.(Don't cook for longer time or on medium heat as it will burn the saffron)
When saffron cool down crush it and keep aside.
Open and peel the cardamom and collect the seeds and discard the peel.
In the mixer jar add all the spices and grind to make a fine powder and keep aside.
Now add the nuts and rose petals and pulse gently to make a coarse powder as per your preference.
Now mix the ground nuts,spice mix and the saffron and give a pulse in the mixer to blend every thing.
Store in a glass jar and keep refrigerated for a long shelf life and use when required.
How to serve- add 2-3 tsp of masala milk for a glass of milk and give a nice boil, It can be used to make hot or cold milk.
You can add this powder directly in hot or cold milk,boiling is optional after adding it in the milk.
Notes and Tips-
- The blend works equally well for vegans too - and can be used in any kind of vegan milk.
- It will stay fresh at room temperature for a month and if kept refrigerated then easily for 3-4 months.
- This milk masala can also be added in Kheer, Phirni, Shrikhand, Yogurt, Basundi, Sooji Halwa etc.
- This milk masala is also very good for new mothers as a post partum recipe.
- Grind the nuts by lightly pulsing them in the mixer.
- For a summer version of this mix, just subtract nutmeg, ginger, and mace from this recipe.