Amla Achar Recipe ,Indian Gooseberry Pickle
Amla pickle- a Healthy and delicious Indian gooseberry pickle
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time7 mins
Total Time22 mins
- 400 gms Indian Gooseberry /amla
- 3 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 2 tbsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 3 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 40 gms Salt / Namak
- 1.5 cup Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
Wash and wipe amla properly.
Steam cook them for about 5-7 minutes.
Separate the segments and remove the seed from amla .
Dry roast mustard seeds,fenugreek and fennel seeds for 2-3 minutes and then grind coarsly
Heat 1/2 cup mustard oil to a smoking point and then let it come to normal temperature.
Add the ground spices and all the other powdered spices in the oil
Now add the amla segments in it and mix well.
Fill the pickle in a sterlized glass jar and keep it in sun light for 2 days.
Now heat about 1 cup of mustard oil and let it cool down completely
Pour this oil in the jar and rest for 4-5 days .
Enjoy the pickle with rice or any Indian bread
- If possible don't make this pickle in a big batch as it become soft after some time .so I prefer to make small batches of this pickle as it is available easily during winters.
- The pickle change the color after some times and turns slightly greenish due to oxidation but is fine to consume .
- You can store it in refrigeration for a long shelf life.
- If the amla is small in size then use it whole.
- You can also add fresh green chili pieces in it.