Vrat ka Medu Vada, Samak Ka Medu Vada
Vrat Ka Medu vada- Crisp delicious Samak ke medu vada ,a perfect snack for Navaratri fasting
Servings: 3 person
- 2.5 cup Samak / Barnyarn Millet
- 4 tbsp Amaranth Flour / Rajgiri Atta
- 1 Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coconut, Grated
- 3 tbsp Yogurt / Dahi
- 3 Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 15 Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch crushed
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1.5 tbsp Cashew Nuts / Kaju chopped
- Salt to taste
- Enough Cooking Oil to deep fry
Take about 1/3 cup raw samak rice and add 1.25 cup water,and pressure cook on medium heat for 3 whistles or cook till it become soft and mushy.
let it cool down completely and then mash it well with a laddle or rub with your palm to make it into a soft and smooth dough
Take a bowl and add 2.5 cup boiled samak and add all the ingredients and mix well.
It should look like a smooth dough and if it is too dry then add few more tbsps of yogurt.
Mix it well and then grease your palm with some oil and make equal size of balls from the dough.
Now take each ball ,flatten it between your palms and then make a hole in the center. Make all the Medu vadas and keep aside.
Heat enough oil in a deep wide pan.
Now gently slide few madu vadas in the hot oil, don't crowd the pan else they make not get cooked properly.
After few minutes turn the side of the medu vada and cook from other side till It become golden and crisp. don't turn it more then 2-3 times else they may break .
When they become golden from both the sides, drain on a paper napkin to absorb the excess oil.
Serve hot medu vadas with coconut chutney and green chutney.
- If you have difficulty in shaping then dip your fingers in oil regularly while shaping.
- If the medu vadas are breaking while frying then add some more rajgiri flour in the dough.
- Coconut is optional ,if not available then just skip it.
- you can cook the samak rice in an open pan instead of cooker but then it may need some extra water. cook till it become soft and mushy.
- You can also shallow fry or use an air fryer instead of deep frying the medu vadas.