Raita Marcha, Athela Marcha,Chili Pickle
Athela Mircha- a tangy, Instant and easy to make Green chili pickle specialty from Gujarat
Prep Time20 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 325 gms Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 30 gms salt
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 6 tbsp Split Mustard seeds/Rai kuria
- 1.5 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 5 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
Wash the green chilies ,discard the stems and wipe them well with a napkin.
Slit from the center and make it into 2 pieces.
Add 5 tbsp salt and turmeric and mix well and then cover and keep aside for 4 hours.
Now transfer the chilies on an sieve to drain out the moisture released from the chilies.
Spread the chilies on a kitchen napkin for 2 hours to absorb the extra moisture.(step 3,4,5 are required if you are making a large batch of pickle, else just mix all the ingredients,stir and store. Step 3,4 ,5 ensures a long shelf life of the pickle)
Heat the cooking oil and then let it cool down slightly,now add rai kuria and mix it and wait it till it come to room temperature.
Add the chilies in a mixing bowl and add 1 tbsp salt, crushed fennel seeds, asafoetida,lemon juice and the oil(in which rai kuria is added)
Mix every thing well and then fill the pickle in a glass jar.
You can start using the pickle immediately but the taste best after 4-5 days.
Enjoy with rice, khichdi ,roti ,paratha or any farsan of your choice.
- You can skip step 3.4.5 and directly add salt and all the ingredients in the chilies but following all the steps ensure a long shelf life .
- Keep it refrigerated after 3-4 days.
- It easily stays well for 6 -8 months in the refrigerator but do keep mixing or shaking the jar twice a week.
- Instead of slicing the chilies in long pieces you can chop it in bite size small pieces.
- You can use any cooking oil but I prefer to use mustard oil in it.
- you can also make it oil free.