Shalgam Ka Bharta, Spicy Turnip Mash
Shalgam ka bharta- simple and delicious mashed turnip- a Punjabi specialty
Servings: 5 person
- 700 gms Turnip / Shalgum 4 medium
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 3 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 2 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 3.5 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 inch Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 3 medium Tomato / Tamatar chopped
Peel and wash turnip and Tthen chop into small cubes.
Add the chopped turnip,1 tsp oil,1/2 tsp salt, red chili powder and 1/4 cup water and pressure cook on medium heat for 3-4 whistles or till turnip become soft.
When the cooker cool down then open it and remove the excess water and mash the turnip with a laddle to make a puree.
Heat oil in a pan and add 3 tbsp cooking oil and cumin seeds ,when cumin start crackling add asafoetida.
Now add ginger, green chilies, 1/2 tsp salt and the chopped tomatoes.mix and cover the pan with a lid and cook till tomatoes become soft nd start releasing the oil from the sides.
Now add the mashed turnips,sugar ,boiled or frozen peas, mango powder and mix well.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes or cook till it thickens .
Now add chopped coriander and serve hot with roti,paratha or rice.
- you can use lemon juice instead of mango powder.