Dhokla,Vati Daal Nu Khaman, Chana Daal Dhokla
Dhokla - A fermented and spongy steamed lentil cake from Gujarat
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 8 person
- 2.5 cup Bengal gram /chana daal
- 4 tbsp Yogurt / Dahi
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar / Chini
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 2.5 tbsp Green chili paste
- 1 Tbsp Ginger paste
- 2.5 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 2.5 tsp Eno fruit salt
- 5 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coconut, Grated
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2.5 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1.5 tsp sesame seeds /til
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 8 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch slit lengthwise
wash and soak chana daal for minimum 5 hours.
Drain the water and grind to make a coarse and thick paste with some water
Take out the mixture in a bowl and add yogurt and salt and mix.
Keep covered to ferment overnight or for 8 hours.
Now add turmeric,chili paste,ginger paste,lemon juice, oil and sugar and mix gently.
Boil enough water in a normal steamer or in a dhokla maker.
Grease the plates in which you want to steam the dhokla.9plates should be minimum 1 inch deep.
when the water in the steamer started boiling then add eno /fruit salt in the batter.
Sprinkle few drops of water over the eno and mix well.
Pour the batter in the greased plate (fill the plate 3/4)
Put the plate in the steamer and close it tightly with the lid.
Cook on high heat for abourt 20-25 minutes
Open and check by inserting a knife or toothpick,If it come out clean then its done else cook further for some time
Let it come to room temperature and then cut into pieces.
Tempering-Heat oil in a small pan and add Mustard seeds ,sesame seeds and asafoetida.
When seed start crackling add the green chilies and curry leaves.
Remove it from the flame and add 2 tbsp of water(water is optional) and pour it over the dhokla pieces.
Garnish with chopped coriander and grated coconut.
Serve with coconut chutney and mint chutney.
- Don't make a fine paste of chana daal,it should be coarse.
- Add exact quantity of fruit salt in the batter .
- Add fruit salt only when the water in your steamer started boiling.
- You can store the batter in refrigerator for about 3 days ,add Eno only when you want to steam it.
- The consistency of the batter should be perfect for a spongy dhokla.it should neither be too thick nor too runny.