Meethe Chawal , Zarda Pulao, Kesar Bhaat
Zarda Pulao- A sweet and rich rice preparation loaded with dry fruits,sugar and ghee
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 5 people
- 1 cup Rice/chawal
- 1 cup Sugar / Chini
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee *
- 4 Cloves / Lavang
- 6 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- 1/2 cup Dry fruits/mewa
- 1/4 tsp Saffron / Kesar
- pinch of Saffron food colour
- 2 Silvar leaf /varak
- 1.5 tbsp Rose Water / Gulab Jal Optional
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk / Doodh
- 1.5 cup Water / Paani
Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes in enough water.
Soak saffron in luke warm milk and keep aside
After 20 minutes drain the water from the soaked rice.
Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
Add cloves,cardamom,cinnamon and the chopped dry fruits and stir for few seconds or till cloves start to crackle.
Now add rice and stir fry for a minute.
Now add water,sugar and milk in the cooker and mix well
When the mixture start boiling add thee rose water and close the cooker lid.
Pressure cook on medium heat for 1 whistle
let it cool down completely for 10 minutes
Now open the cooker and gently mix and fluff with a fork.
Drizzle a spoon of ghee on it (optional)
Garnish with silver leaf and few chopped pistachio and serve hot
- You can add a mix of dry fruit of your choice,I have used cashew, almonds, raisins,pistachio and chiroli,can adjust the quantity as per your preference.
- you can add 3/4 cup sugar if you prefer mild sweetness.
- Always use good quality rice to make zarda pulao