How to make Lauki pakora, Bottle Gourd Fritters
Lauki ki Pakodi- Crispy fried Bottle gourd fritters
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 person
- 5 inch long Bottle Gourd / Lauki
- 1 cup Gram flour / Besan
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 tbs Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil to add in batter
- To deep fry Cooking Oil to deep fry
- 1/4 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
Wash the bottle gourd/ lauki and then wipe it
With the help of a knife or a vegetable slicer make equal size thin round slices from the bottle gourd
In a bowl add gram flour ,chopped coriander and all the dry spices.
Add just enough water in the gram flour mixture and mix to make a medium thick batter of pouring consistency.
Whisk the batter well so the fritters puff up nicely while frying.
Now add 2 tsps of hot oil in the batter ,it helps to make the fritters crisp
Heat enough oil in a heavy and broad pan to deep fry the fritters
Dip the sliced bottle gourd/ lauki in the gram flour batter ,coat the slices well with the batter and then gently drop in hot oil.
Add few slices at a time,don't crowd the pan else they may stick with each other and neither become crisp nor they puff up properly
Deep fry on medium heat and turn side few times while frying.
Fry till they become golden from both the sides.
When done ,remove on a paper napkin to absorb all the excess oil
Serve hot with mint chutney and date tamarind chutney
Sending this to the event- Saucy saturday
- Try to choose small or medium thick, seedless and tender bottle gourd /lauki to make pakoras.
- Batter should neither be thick nor too thin, it should be of coating consistency.
- Deep fry on medium heat ,as if you deep fry on high heat then the bottle gourd slices may remain uncooked from inside and on low heat fritters may absorb excess oil.