Vegetable Daliya Khichdi
Vegetable Daliya Khichdi- Healthy lentil,vegetable and broken wheat porridge
- 3/4 cup Yellow Lentil / Moong Daal (dhuli huee)
- 3/4 cup Broken wheat / Daliya
- 1/2 cup French beans Chopped
- 1/2 cup Carrot / Gajar Chopped
- 1/2 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 1 medium Tomato / Tamatar Chopped
- 1 tbsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch Chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger / Adrak
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red chili powder
- Salt / Namak to taste
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
Tempering/ waghar/ tadka
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee *
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
Wash moong daal with water and keep aside.
Heat oil in the pressure cooker and add daliya, 1/2 tsp cumin and green chilies and saute till the daliya change its colour and become slightly whitish (for about 2 minutes)
Add washed daal, tomato, carrot, peas and french beans and stir.
Add salt, turmeric, chili powder and 3 cups of water and mix.
Pressure cook on medium heat for 3 whistles.
Open the cooker when cool down completely.
Add 2 cups of warm water and chopped ginger in the cooker and mix well.
Let it come to a boil on medium heat and then simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Heat ghee in a small pan and add cumin and asafoetida.
When cumin become red then add it in the khichdi and switch off the flame.
Add lemon juice and fresh coriander and mix.
Serve hot with a tsp of ghee on top.
Serving suggestions-taste best with plain yogurt, raita, salad and roasted popadam
- I have used yellow moong daal but you can also make this with green moong daal, masoor daal or tuvar daal but avoid using urad daal or chana daal if you are making this for kids or patients as these two daal's are quite heavy and not so easy to digest.
- Can add any vegetable of your choice like chopped potato,cauliflower,corn ,squash, bottle gourd,spinach etc.
- I have used 1/2 cup of each vegetable but you can increase the amount of vegetable if you wish.
- If you want to make it little watery then add 3 cups or 3.5 cups of water at step-7