Moong Daal Khichdi
Yellow Moong Daal Khichdi -Mildly spiced Yellow lentil and Rice khichdi-Uttar Pradesh Style
Servings: 4 people
- 3/4 cup Yellow Lentil / Moong Daal (dhuli huee)
- 3/4 cup Rice/chawal raw
- 1 Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2.5 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee *
- Salt / Namak to taste
Wash rice and daal 2-3 times with enough water.
Now soak them together in 3 cups of water for 15 minutes.
Add soaked rice, daal (along with the water in which it is soaked) 1 chopped tomato and 1 tsp of ghee in the pressure cooker.
Pressure cook on medium heat for 3 whistles or cook till it become soft and mushy.
When cooker cool down completely open the cooker and mash it with a ladle.
Now add 3.5 cups of hot water in the cooker and mix well.
Add salt, turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, chopped green chilies and ginger.
Mix well and cover the pan with a lid to avoid spluttering and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
Heat ghee in a small pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida
When cumin become golden, remove from the flame, add a pinch of chili powder and pour over the khichdi and mix.
Now switch off the flame and add lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander and mix.
Serve hot with a spoon full of ghee on top.
Serving suggestions-serve hot with yogurt, papad, salad, pickle and chutney
1-You can also add a cup of chopped mix vegetables,i.e carrot,peas,beans,capsicum,bottle gourd etc at step 3 ,to make it more healthy,nutritious and filling one pot meal.
2-You can add some more water at step -6 if you want to make it thin and watery.
3-Can also make this with split green gram daal(moong daal chilka)
4-This khichdi will tend to thickens as it cools down, if it happens then add some hot water and give it a boil before serving.