Karela kachri Subzi / Bitter Gourd Stir Fry
karela kachri-sliced bitter gourd stir fried with Indian spices
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 400 gms Bitter Gourd / Karela
- 1 Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1.5 tbsp Fennel powder/ Pisi Saunf
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 4.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel *
Wash and slice bitter gourds in medium thick pieces.(roundels or batons)Add 2 tsp salt in the slices,mix and keep covered for 1/2 hour.Wash them well with water and then squeeze well.
If the bitter gourds are too bitter then you can boil them for 5 minutes in water with little salt and sugar added.
Peel and grate raw mango.
Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan ,then add whole fennel seeds.When fennel seeds become golden then add turmeric powder and karela pieces
Saute for a minute and then add salt and grated raw mango,mix well.Cover and cook on low heat till done.
Keep stirring in between,so it will cook properly and will not stick and burn at the bottom.When done add all the spices and mix well.
Cook for approx.2 minutes on low heat with out covering the pan,stir 2-3 times in between.
Add 1 tbsp of oil if needed
Cook for approx.2 minutes on low heat with out covering the pan,stir 2-3 times in between.Serve hot or cold.
Serve hot or cold.
Serving suggestions-best served with daal and rice or any Indian bread.
- may substitute mustard oil with any cooking oil of your choice .
- *If raw mango is not available then use 2 tsp of dry mango powder.