Rajasthani Gatta Curry Recipe
Gatte ki sabzi-Steamed gram flour dumplings cooked in a flavorful yogurt curry a specialty of Rajasthan
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time28 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1.5 cup Gram flour / Besan
- 2 tbsp Yogurt / Dahi
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- pinch Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya
- 1/4 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1.5 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Ginger / Adrak
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Refined Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 1 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
How To Make Gatta
Coarsely crush coriander and fennel seeds .(to add in the gatta dough)
In a bowl add gram flour,crushed seeds and all the ingredients listed for making gattas
Mix and make a medium soft dough,add some more yoghurt if needed.
Make 6 balls from the dough and roll them to make long and medium thick rolls.
Boil 2.5 glasses of water in a pan ,when it start boiling then add the rolls in it.Boil for around 5-7 minutes ,they will float on top of water when done.
Take out boiled gatta's from the pan and let them cool down for 5 minutes.don’t throw the water, you will need this to add in the gravy.
Slice into medium size pieces and keep aside
How To Make the Gravy
Mix turmeric,coriander and chili powder with 2 tbsp of water and keep aside.(A)
Heat oil in a pan and add cumin,fenugreek,asafoetida ,cloves , bay leaves and the dried whole chilies
When cumin become golden then add the spice mixture(A) and stir for few seconds.
Remove the pan from heat and add whisked yoghurt and stir for a while ,now put the pan on fire and saute for a minute.
Now add approx. 1 cup water(in which you have boiled the gattas) and cook for some time,keep stirring the gravy
When gravy start boiling add the sliced gatta's after 2 minutes.
Simmer for 3-5 minutes.add garam masala and fresh coriander.Serve hot.
Serving suggestions-serve with bajra or wheat flour roti, parathas ,poori ,steamed rice or Khichdi
- Don’t throw the left over water in which you have boiled the gattas, as the cooked curry may thicken after some time so you can add this water to adjust the consistency.
- You can add chopped fresh fenugreek leaves or Kasori Methi in the gatta dough
- You can use the gatta's for making gatta pulao