Bharwa Baigan /Masala Baigan/Stuffed Brinjals
Bharwa baigan Sabzi -Baby eggplants stuffed with fresh green gram and Indian spices- a specialty of Uttar Pradesh
Servings: 4 people
- 8 Baby brinjals/Small round brinjals
- 4 TBSP Fresh green gram/choliya optional
- 2 Potatoes / Aloo
- 2 TBSP Gram flour / Besan
- 2.5 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 2 tbsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1.5 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 2 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf coarsely crushed
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
Wash and slit the brinjals. Slice potatoes in thick roundels and then make a slit in the centre .
Take a bowl and mix all the spices, gram flour, fresh green gram and oil.
Stuff this mixture in the brinjals and potatoes.
Gently press and seal the mixture by pressing it with your thumb.
Heat 5 tbls of oil in a pan, add asafoetida, and then put potatoes and brinjals, mix gently and then cover and cook on slow flame .
Keep turning the sides after every 2 minutes.
It will take approx.10 minutes to cook .
Sprinkle some chopped coriander when done.
Serve hot or cold.
Serving suggestions-serve as a side dish with meals or use as a travel food.
- This dish stays fresh for about 4 days at room temperature, during winters.
Variation-can substitute green gram with fresh green peas or fresh lilva or tuvar or without adding any of these,just stuff with the masala.