Curd rice is a very popular rice preparation from Southern India. Cooked rice is added in beaten yogurt with few vegetables and then tempered with white lentil/urad daal,asafoetida,curry leaves,mustard and cashew.
- 3 cup Cooked rice
- 1.5 cup Yogurt/Dahi
- 3/4 cup Milk or Water
- 1 cup Cucumber chopped/ Kheera
- 1/3 cup Carrot grated/ Gajar optional
- 3 Green chili/ Hari Mirch
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger/ Adrak finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh coriander/ Hara Dhaniya
- 5 tbsp Pomegrante pearls/ Anar ke dane
- 2.5 tsp Cooking oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds/ Rai
- 1/2 tsp White Lentil/ Urad daal
- 2 Dried Red Chili
- 2 tbsp Cashew pieces/ Kaju Tukda
- 10 Curry leaves/ Kadi patta
- pinch Asafoetida optional
Cook rice in enough water till soft.Now let it cool down completely.
Take a bowl and curd and whisk it well. add some cold milk or water to adjust the consistency ,you may need approx 1/2 cup milk or water.
Now add salt ,cucumber,carrot ,some pomegranate pearls , fresh coriander ,green chilies and ginger and mix well.
Now add the cooked rice in the yogurt mix and stir it well.
In a small pan add little ghee or oil and roast the cashew pieces to a nice light golden colour then take out the roasted cashew pieces and add in the curd rice.
Now add the tempering ingredients in the same pan and cook till it start crackling.
Add the tempering in the curd rice and mix.
Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Garnish with some pomegranate pearls and fresh coriander before serving.
You can also make some fresh tadka and pour over the curd rice as garnish.
Serve with some fried papad, curd chilies and pickle