Karele Ki Bhujiya
Karele ki Bhujiya- A simple Rustic style bitter gourd stir fried with few basic Indian spices
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
- 400 gm Bitter Gourd / Karela
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 3/4 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 3/4 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1/2 tsp Fennel powder/ Pisi Saunf
Wash karela thoroughly and remove the stalks.
Chop to make thin slices of 1.5- 2 inches length OR make thin roundels (remove the hard mature seeds only)
Apply 1/2 tsp salt on the slices and keep aside for 5 minutes and then wash it well, this step is done to remove the bitterness of karela. (This step is optional,you can skip this step , I normally make bhujiya without doing this)
Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add turmeric in the oil and then add the sliced karela pieces.
Stir fry for 2 minutes on medium heat and then cover the pan with a lid and cook till its half done.
Remove the lid and cook on low heat till karela is done. keep stirring in between.
When karela get cooked then add the spices and mix well.
Stir fry for a minute on low heat so the spices will be roasted well.
Serve with daal-chawal, khichdi or roti.