Oats Chilla Uttapam
Oats Chilla / cheela - A very healthy ,delicious and easy to make savory pancake .
- 1 cup Quick cooking Oats *
- 4 tbsp Semolina / Sooji
- 4 tbsp Gram flour / Besan
- 4 tbsp Sour Yogurt/ Khatta Dahi
- 1/2 cup Water / Paani approx
- to Taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Chili flakes /Kuti hui laal mirch
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- pinch of Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/4 tsp Eno fruit salt optional
- 1.5 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger grated
- 3 tbsp Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 3 tbsp Carrot / Gajar grated
- 3 tbsp Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch chopped
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
Take a bowl and add oats ,semolina and gram flour and mix.
Now add yogurt and water and make a medium thick batter like idli batter and keep covered for 15 minutes
Then blend the mixture either with a whisk or fork or use a hand blender
Add all the spices and the vegetables and mix.(check notes),add eno just before making the cheela.
Heat a non stick or iron tawa and grease with few drops of cooking oil or ghee.
Spread a ladle full of batter on the medium hot tawa and spread it gently with the back of the ladle to make a slight thin pancake.
let it cook on medium to low heat,when the top looked dry then drizzle a tsp of oil or butter around the chilla and let it cook till it the base become golden
Now flip it over gently and cook from other side,drizzle some oil around the edges so it get cooked from both the sides.
When chilla uttapam become golden from both the sides then remove from the pan and serve hot.
Serving suggestions- serve with mint chutney,tomato ketchup or any tangy sauce of your choice.
- You can either mix the chopped vegetables in the batter or top them over the chilla like uttapam.
- You can grind the oats and semolina and store in a jar ,then you don't need to grind or whisk the batter before making cheela.
- You can add rice flour and wheat flour instead of semolina and gram flour.
- Can use any types of oats i.e instant or rolled
- Add water according to the quality of oats you are using, make the batter semi thick else it will take time to cook and cheela may become too soft and soggy.
- you can use sour buttermilk instead of yogurt and water.
- If the yogurt is not sour then can add 1/2 ts of lemon juice in it.