Dosakaya Pappu Recipe
Pigeon peas cooked with yellow cucumber-An Andhra speciality
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 3 person
- 1 cup Pigeon Pea / Tuvar / Arhar ki daal
- 2.5 cup Dosakaya chopped
- 1 cup Tomato / Tamatar chopped
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch
- 1 tbsp Tamarind / Imli Pulp
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 3/4 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- pinch of Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 10 Curry Leaves
Peel dosakaya and scoop out the seeds and chop into small pieces.
Check a piece of dosakaya if its bitter in taste then discard the whole thing.if it taste fine only then use it to make dosakaya pappu.
Wash and sook tuvar daal for about 20 minutes
In a pressure cooker add soaked lentil, chopped dosakaya ,chopped tomato,chopped green chilies ,1 tsp oil, 1.5 cup water and then pressure cook on medium heat for 3-4 whistles.
When the pressure in the cooker cools down completely then open and mix the daal and add water to adjust the consistency of your choice.
Add tamarind, turmeric ,red chili powder and salt and then let it cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard, cumin and when the seeds start to crackle then add asafoetida,red chilies and curry leaves.
Pour the tempering over the boiling daal and simmer for a minute.
Add fresh coriander and serve hot with steamed rice with a spoon of ghee on top.