Khajoor Imli Ki Chutney /Date and Tamarind Dip
A sweet and tangy tamarind and date dip
- 1 cup Tamarind / Imli
- 25 Dates / Khajoor
- 1.5 cup Sugar / Chini
- 3 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish
- 2 tbsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder optional
- 1 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
Wash the dates and remove the seeds.
Soak tamarind in 1 cup water for 1/2 hour and then remove all the seeds carefully.
Add tamarind and dates in the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
When it cool down ,blend with a hand blender or mash well with your hand .
Strain the pulp with a soup strainer.
Add raisins and ginger,if you have fussy kids then add raisins and ginger in the strained pulp and blend again to make them into fine pieces.
Now add sugar,salt and chili powder and a glass of water .(if you want to make it thinner, then add some more water here )
Cook on slow flame for 20 minutes.then add roasted cumin powder and garam masala( personally I don’t like to add garam masala in this,but if you like, you can add)
Give it a boil ,remove from fire and let it cool down completely.
fill the prepared tamarind chutney in an air tight glass jar and Keep it refrigerated for a long shelf .
Serve as a dip with any snack or starter ,drizzle over your chat or or as a side dish with stuffed paratha ,thepla and masala pooris etc.
- Instead of sugar you can also use Jaggary.
- you can use dry ginger powder instead of using fresh ginger.
- can adjust the consistency of the chutney according to your preference so add little less or more water to make it thinner or thicker as per your requirement.